Bladnoch Scotch whisky distillery was established in 1817 by the McClelland family.
The distillery is the most southern in Scotland and it draws its water from the nearby River Bladnoch.
In 1911 the distillery was bought by an Irish Company (Dunville & Co. Ltd) who ran the distillery intermittently until closing it in 1938. Malt continued to be produced until 1949 when the maltings closed.
The Distillery was resurrected as the Bladnoch Distillery Co Ltd in 1957. Another pair of stills was added in 1966. During the latter part of the 20th century the distillery went through different owners including Inver House Distillers Ltd between 1973 and 1983.
Bladnoch then passed to Arthur Bell & Sons who modernised the distillery and introduced computerisation. In 1987 Bells themselves were taken over by United Distillers, who continued the modernisation programme.
United Distillers mothballed the distillery in 1993. One year later Raymond Armstrong an Irish businessman acquired it under the condition that the distillery remained silent. After careful and prolonged discussion with UDV the condition was amended to a limited output.
The visitor centre was opened in 1998 and to the joy of whisky lover’s limited production commenced in 2000.
In March 2014 the Distillery went into liquidation and is awaiting a buyer.
Bladnoch Whisky Tasting Notes
Nose : Light, fruity and floral, lemon cake.
Palate : Light bodied. Fruity and malty, delicate honey.
Finish : Delicate citrus fruits.
Similar Fruit and Body Style Whisky
Similar Non Peated Style Whisky