Bruichladdich Scotch whisky distillery was built in 1881 by Barnett Harvey. The Harvey family already owned Yorker Distillery and Dundashill Distillery.
The distillery was silent from 1929 until 1936. It changed hands in 1938 and was then silent again during the Second World War 1941 to 1945.
A new Boiler house was built in 1949.
During 1952 the distillery was bought by Ross and Coulter Ltd (Glasgow whisky brokers).
AB Grant bought the distillery in 1960 following the freeing of Scotch whisky exports from post- war rationing. The new owners began a programme of modest expansion of output, which had nearly doubled capacity from the original designed volume.
The distillery was then bought by Invergordon Distillers for £40,000 in 1968.
The original mill and washbacks, installed by the Harvey brothers remain. Bruichladdich has tall stills which produce a relatively clean spirit and is certainly light-bodied in comparison to most of the other Islay malts.
In 1993 Invergordon Distillers was acquired by Whyte & Mackay who mothballed the distillery two years later in 1995.
On 19th December 2000 the distillery was bought by a small independent company of private individuals, headed by Mark Reynier, Gordon Wright and Simon Coughlin of Murray McDavid.
In 2012 the distillery was bought by Remy Cointreau.
Bruichladdich Whisky Tasting Notes
Nose : Floral, fruity, a whiff of sea breeze, cream crackers
and fresh peat.
Palate : Light to medium bodied. Malty with citrus fruits
and honey. Fresh peatiness.
Finish : Long, complex and mouth-watering.
Port Charlotte An Turas Mor 46%
Nose : Toasted malt and soft sweet vanilla aromas, shortbread,
sticky-toffee-pudding, butterscotch and sweet chocolaty
Palate : Velvety malt sweetness with vanilla and spices combining
with the thick chocolaty smoke.
Finish : More of the same with a hint of saltiness.
Similar Fruit and Body Style Whisky