Convalmore Scotch whisky distillery was the 4th distillery to be established in Dufftown. It was completed in 1884 and formed part of "Seven Stills of Dufftown, the others being Mortlach (1824), Glenfiddich (1887), Balvenie (1892) Dufftown (1896) Parkmore (1897?) and Glendullan (1898).
On the 29th October 1909 a serious fire practically destroyed the distillery.
The distillery was rebuilt the following year and the owners decided to add a continuous still for distilling a malt wash. This still had a continuous capacity for 2273 litres an hour.
The experiment with a column still lasted until 1916. The process was abandoned because the spirit would not mature evenly. Pot still distillation was resumed.
In 1925 the distillery was merged into DCL
At some point in1964 a second pair of stills was added.
During the 1970’s the distillery built a new mash house, expanded its bonded warehouses and built a dark-grains plant.
The company was sold to United Distillers Ltd in 1987. Unfortunately just before this take-over the Convalmore distillery was closed in 1985.
In1990 the property was purchased by William Grant & Sons for warehousing facilities and the distillery equipment was dismantled.
Convalmore Whisky Tasting Notes
Nose : Barley sugar sweetness, fruity, malty.
Palate : Soft and gentle, fruity, chocolaty.
Finish : Long and complex.
Similar Fruit and Body Style Whisky
Similar Non Peated Style Whisky