Glen Moray Scotch whisky distillery is situated on the banks of the River Lossie on the East side of Elgin, close to a former place of execution for 17th century criminals "Gallow Crook Hill". In 1962 during the excavation for the footings of a new warehouse seven skulls were uncovered, one with a musket ball lodged in the jaw. The last hanging was in 1697.
Glen Moray originally started as a brewery, (Henry Arnott & Co) which was converted into a whisky distillery in 1897 by the Glen Moray Glenlivet Distillery Co.
The distillery closed in 1910 and after a brief one-season reopening in 1912, didn't go back into production until 1923, when Macdonald & Muir, the owners of Glenmorangie acquired the distillery.
Since then the only time the distillery has been closed was during World War II, due to the war restrictions.
Glen Moray Whisky Tasting Notes
Nose : Light and fresh with delicate fruit and malt, grassy.
Palate : Light and smooth. Well balanced with oak, vanilla, malt,
Finish : Long delicate but complex.
Similar Fruit and Body Style Whisky
Similar Non Peated Style Whisky