Inchgower Scotch whisky distillery was constructed as a replacement for the Tochineal distillery (1824) near Cullen, which had been closed due to a shortage of water
Alexander Wilson, the nephew of John Wilson the founder of Tochineal distillery, built Inchgower distillery in 1871 at Rathven one and a half miles east of Buckie. To ensure a plentiful supply of water from the Letter burn and Aultmore springs.
The new distillery was considered to be a model distillery in those days. When Alfred Barnard visited in 1885 he observed, “is of handsome elevation… the buildings which are of stone and slate are erected in the form of an oblong quadrangle and cover nearly four acres of ground…. A modern work, and is fitted up with all the latest improvements of machinery and vessels.”
The distillery went into liquidation in 1903 eventually purchased by the Buckie Town Council some time in1930 or 1933? (Two dates found)
The council sold the distillery to Arthur Bell & Sons in 1936.
In 1966, the distillery was refitted and its working capacity increased the number of stills was doubled from 2 to 4.
Only 1% of the malt whisky produced is sold as single malt, the remaining whisky is used in the Bell's, White Horse and Johnnie Walker blended whiskies.
Inchgower Whisky Tasting Notes
Nose : Sweet, spicy, hint of peat.
Palate : Light to Medium. Spicy, malty, sweet.
Finish : Bitter chocolate.
Similar Fruit and Body Style Whisky
Similar Peated Style Whisky