Linkwood Scotch whisky distillery, just a mile south east of Elgin was founded in 1821 by Peter Brown, a local farmer. It takes its name from Linkwood House, the Brown family home.
Roderick Mackenzie, distillery manager after the Second World War, was incredibly superstitious about any unnecessary change. Mackenzie even forbade the removal of spider webs from the warehouses in case the change in environment affected the quality of the whisky!
The distillery was renovated in 1962 and again in 1971, this time 4 more stills where added in a new still house next door. Exact replicas of the original stills were commissioned complete with the bumps and dents, so as to preserve the spirits character.
The original Victorian still house with its pair of stills was closed down in 1985 however five years later these where re-commissioned.
Linkwood Whisky Tasting Notes
Nose : Light and floral. Berry fruits.
Palate : Medium bodied. Vanilla, rich fruit.
Finish : Soft and rounded. Very smooth.